Ferias & Fiestas
Let’s get organised! Here’s a go-to list of ferias and fiestas in Velez-Malaga.
It’s really difficult to do a list of what’s on in the Axarquia a year in advance as the organisation is a little on the… ad hoc side. However, we realise that you’d like to plan your holidays around events and activities, so here’s an outline of the main events happening in and around Velez-Malaga with a guideline of the dates.
The following dates are for 2023, but ferias always fall over a weekend:
- Feria de Cajiz: 16, 17, 18 March
- Feria de Trapiche: 13 and 14 May
- Feria de Triana: 21 – 26 June
- Feria de Los Puertas: 23, 24, 25 June
- Feria de Almayate: 30, 1, 2 June
- Feria de Caleta: 30, 1, 2 June
- Feria de Benajarafe: 14, 15, 16 July
- Feria de Torre del Mar: 21 – 26 July
- Feria de Lagos: 4, 5, 6 August
- Feria de Chilches: 4, 5, 6 August
- Feria de San Miguel, Velez-Malaga: 26 Sept – 1 Oct
- Feria de Valle-Niza: 8, 9, 10 December
Easter / Semana Santa
Easter is a changeable date, but the festivities and processions all happen in the six days leading up to Easter Sunday. The next date is 24 – 31 March 2024.
Romerias in southern Spain involve a pilgrimage where an effigy of a patron saint is carried out to the country for the night. Expect oxen, horses, carts, traditional dress, lots of music, dancing and a very late night of partying.
The following dates are from last year. Due to bad weather a lot were changed to June and June. They always fall on a weekend:
- San José of Chilches, Urb. Puerta de Hierro – 6 May
- San José of Triana, at Finca de la Ponderosa (río Benamargosa) – 29, 30 April
- Sagrado Corazón de Jesús de Almayate, at Finca de Taramillas en Torre del Mar – 7 May
- Stma. Inmaculada Concepción de Cabrillas, at el Coto Escolar de Benamocarra – 13, 14 May
- Stma. Virgen de los Remedios Patrona de Vélez-Málaga, at la Finca de la Pola – 20, 21 May
- San Isidro of Trapiche, at El Coto Escolar de Benamocarra – 20, 21 May
- Stma. Virgen del Carmen of Torre del Mar, at el Río Seco (frente a Baviera Golf) – 30 May
- Stma. Virgen del Carmen of Lagos, at el Río Lagos – 1 June
- Stma. Virgen del Rosario of Benajarafe – 12 October
Before Lent commences there’s a big party – Carnival – where people get dressed up and throw themselves into a parade.
It takes place approximately 6 weeks before Easter 11 February 2023. On the Saturday there’s a huge parade around Velez from 17.30hrs.
The Epiphany – The Three Kings
This is the equivalent to Christmas for Spanish children. The Three Kings visit and leave presents for the children. On 5 January the Three Kings leave the Fort in Velez-Malaga at 11.30hrs and from around 17.30 there’s a parade around Velez.
- Fiesta del Instituto (music concert) in Velez-Malaga – 2 November
- Fiesta de la Primavera (music concert) in Velez-Malaga – late April/early May
- Noche de San Juan (Torre del Mar) 23 June (San Juan day)
- Weekend Beach Festival (Torre del Mar) – 5 – 8 July
- Open-air flamenco fusion concerts (Fridays in August) in Velez-Malaga – more information here
- Noche en Blanco in Velez-Malaga – a weekend mid-August
- Live Jazz at CAC in Velez-Malaga – Wednesdays throughout June and July
- Virgen del Carmen (the patron of fishermen and sailors) – around 16 June at all coastal towns
- Fiesta de Juan Breva in Velez-Malaga – flamenco festival – Mid December
We’ll keep dipping into this page and updating the dates as and when they are released. Keep an eye on our Facebook and Instagram page as well as our What’s on section of this website for more details and other events happening in the Axarquia.