Ferias & Fiestas
Let’s get organised! Here’s a go-to list of ferias and fiestas in Velez-Malaga.
It’s really difficult to do a list of what’s on in the Axarquia a year in advance as the organisation is a little on the… ad hoc side. However, we realise that you’d like to plan your holidays around events and activities, so here’s an outline of the main events happening in and around Velez-Malaga with a guideline of the dates.
The following dates are for 2019, but ferias always fall over a weekend:
- Feria de Cajiz: 15, 16, 17 March
- Feria de Trapiche: 11 and 12 May
- Feria de Triana: 21, 22, 23 June
- Feria de Los Puertas: 22, 23, 24 June
- Feria de Almayate: 28, 29, 30 June
- Feria de Caleta: 28, 29, 30 June
- Feria de Benajarafe: 12, 13, 14 July
- Feria de Torre del Mar: 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 July
- Feria de Lagos: 2, 3, 4 August
- Feria de Chilches: 2, 3, 4 August
- Feria de San Miguel, Velez-Malaga: 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 September
- Feria de Valle-Niza: 6, 7, 8 December
Easter / Semana Santa
Easter is a changeable date, but the festivities and processions all happen in the six days leading up to Easter Sunday. This year it falls on 6 – 12 April 2020.
Romerias in southern Spain involve a pilgrimage where an effigy of a patron saint is carried out to the country for the night. Expect oxen, horses, carts, traditional dress, lots of music, dancing and a very late night of partying.
The following dates are for 2019, but again they always fall on a weekend:
- San José of Chilches, Urb. Puerta de Hierro – 5 May
- San José of Triana, at Finca de la Ponderosa – 4, 5 May
- Sagrado Corazón de Jesús de Almayate, at Finca de Taramillas en Torre del Mar – 5 May
- Stma. Inmaculada Concepción de Cabrillas, at el Coto Escolar de Benamocarra – 11, 12 May
- Stma. Virgen de los Remedios Patrona de Vélez-Málaga, at la Finca de la Pola – 18, 19 May
- San Isidro of Trapiche, at El Coto Escolar de Benamocarra – 18, 19 May
- Stma. Virgen del Carmen of Torre del Mar, at el Río Seco (frente a Baviera Golf) – 19 May
- Stma. Virgen del Carmen of Lagos, at el Río Lagos – 2 June
- Stma. Virgen del Rosario of Benajarafe – 6 October
Before Lent commences there’s a big party – Carnival – where people get dressed up and throw themselves into a parade.
It takes place approximately 6 weeks before Easter 7-9 February 2020. On the Saturday there’s a huge parade around Velez from 17.30hrs.
The Epiphany – The Three Kings
This is the equivalent to Christmas for Spanish children. The Three Kings visit and leave presents for the children. On 5 January the Three Kings leave the Fort in Velez-Malaga at 11.30hrs and from around 17.30 there’s a parade around Velez.
- Fiesta del Instituto (music concert) – 2 November
- Fiesta de la Primavera (music concert) – late April/early May
- Noche de San Juan (Torre del Mar) – 23 June (San Juan day)
- Open-air flamenco fusion concerts (Fridays in August) – more information here
- Noche en Blanco – a weekend mid-August
- Live Jazz at CAC – every Wednesday throughout July
- Fiesta de Juan Breva – flamenco festival – Mid December
We’ll keep dipping into this page and updating the dates as and when they are released. Keep an eye on our Facebook and Instagram page as well as our What’s on section of this website for more details and other events happening in the Axarquia.