50 Things To Do in the Axarquia
From shimmering coasts to soaring mountain peaks via dazzling white villages, ancient fortresses and lovely old churches, the Axarquia region isn’t short of things to see and do.
In fact, it can be a little hard to know where to start. Which is why we thought we’d compile our pick of 50 things you just can’t miss in this beautiful corner of southern Spain.
1.Visit the Caves of Nerja
This is the most popular tourist attraction in the axarquia, with 5km of caves, the largest stalagmite in the world and a plethora of archaeological finds (now in the Nerja Museum).
The caves are just outside Nerja in Maro (a very charming village in itself). You can visit them easily by car (take the 295 exit signposted ‘Cueva de Nerja’) or the ‘Cueva Tren’ train from the centre of town.
Buy tickets: Cuevadenerja.es
2. Experience Authentic Flamenco
Find out more about flamenco in Velez, here.
3. Chill Out on the Beach at Maro
See our pick of the area’s best beaches, here.
4. Hike the Cliff Clinging ‘El Saltillo’ in Canillas de Aceituno
Find out more about Canillas with our guide, here.
5. Explore the Axarquia by Buggy – Buggy Tour Malaga
To book a buggy tour – Buggy Tour Malaga
6. Discover the Lost Village of El Acebuchal
7. See the Murals in the Church at Canillas de Aceituno
8. See the Murals in the Church at Benaque
9. Cool Off at Aquavelis Water Park (summer only)
Find out more about Aquavelis, here.
10. Hit the Fairways at Baviera Golf
Find out more about golf in the Axarquia, here.
11. Learn about the Axarquia’s Moorish Past by Visiting the Minarets at Daimalos, Árchez and Salares
12. Climb Velez-Malaga Fortress
Find out more about Velez-Malaga’s Fortaleza, here.
13. Take a Wine Tour & Meal in Bodegas Bentomiz
Tours with lunch start from 28.80€. Book here.
14. Eat a Whole Kid in Canillas de Aceituno
(At one of two great restaurants: El Bodegon de Juan Maria and Restaurante La Sociedad.)
15. Walk the Rio Chillar, Nerja
Find out more about the Rio Chillar, here.
16. Visit Velez-Malaga and its Historic Sights
From the Ermita, CAC, MVVEL, Palacio de Beniel, Semana Santa Museum, Casa Cervantes, Mihrab Archway and Fortress. Book a historic tour of Velez-Malaga with Plan A.
17. Hang Out by the Sea in a Chiringuito (beach bar)
(One of our favourites is El Hornillero – pictured – in Almayate Bajo.)
18. Fly High on Comares Zipline – The Longest in Spain
Book with Viveaventura.
19. Explore the Ruins of Mazmullar – a 13th-century Moorish Fortress Near Comares
20. Stroll the Streets of Frigiliana
Find out more about Frigiliana with our guide, here.
21. Visit the Gastro/Artisan Mercado de San Francisco in Velez-Malaga
Find out more about the Mercado de San Francisco, here.
22. Have a BBQ at El Alcazar in Alcaucin
Camino de los Colmenares, s/n, 29711 Alcaucín. Directions
23. Walk up to Castillo de Zalia, Alcaucin
24. See the Moorish Bridge at Salares
25. Stroll around La Zorilla/Triana
This tiny hamlet just outside of Velez-Malaga is so pretty. It takes no longer than 20minutes to walk around, there are no shops or bars but it’s a curious place. You park on the river bed, it has a hippy whimsical sort of feel about it.
26. Explore the Cuevas del Tesoro in Rincon de la Victoria
For tickets see here.
27. Cycle Along the Sea at La Cala del Moral in Rincon de la Victoria
28. Enter the Fajara Caves at Canillas de Aceituno
29. Climb La Maroma
Find out more about climbing La Maroma, here.
30. Get Views of Morocco by Climbing El Cielo
Photo Credit: Spain Holiday
31. Take in the View from Bentomiz Castle, Arenas
32. Visit Macharaviaya – And Discover Its Unusual Link to the USA
33. Padel Surf from Burriana Beach, Nerja
Photo Credit: AWA Watersports
34. Rio Verde Walk/Climb with Petrified Waterfall and Rock Pools
35. Hire a Catamaran from La Caleta
Photo Credit: Catamaran tours, Zostera
36. Discover Local Artists
Including: Tr3s Puertas, Torre del Mar; DeBarro, Velez-Malaga; Galeria Luz de la Vida, Competa and La Galeria Almagra, Frigiliana.
37. See La Fuente del Amor in Daimalos
38. Visit Nerja – Balcon de Europa and the Impressive Aqueduct
See our pick of things to do in Nerja.
39. Kayaking the Acantilados de Maro Cerro Gordo
Photo Credit: Educareaventura
40. Explore the Region by Bike
Find out more about cycling in the Axarquia – and around – here.
41. Relax (or Party) at the Beach Clubs of Torre del Mar
Photo Credit: Bahia de Tanit
42. See the Stars from the Torre Atalaya
43. Kayak or Sail on Lake Viñuela
44. Experience at Least One Feria or Fiesta
Whether it’s Semana Santa, Los Reyes Magos, Tres Culturas or the Noche del Vino… and so many more.
45. Hike Up to the Buddhist Stupa
Photo Credit: East of Malaga
46. Explore the Remains of the Moorish Fortress at Comares
Find out more about Comares with our guide, here.
47. Find Out the Myths of Sayalonga’s Circular Cemetery
Discover Sayalonga (along with Árchez, Canillas de Albaida, Salares and Sedella) on a Axarquia white villages tour with Oletrips.
48. Explore the Velez River Basin and the Pools of Rio Sabar
49. Eat in the Oldest Inn in Andalucia – Venta de Alfarnate
Find out more about Alfarnate with our guide, here.
50. Visit the Hermitages of San Anton and Santa Ana in Canillas de Albaida
Photo Credit: Mike Burns
We hope you enjoy exploring this gorgeous region as much as we do. We’re discovering new things to do in the Axarquia all the time – so keep an eye on this article for upcoming additions.
If you want more information on any of these things to do in the Axarquia, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.